SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, April 20, 2017

7 Ways to be a Productive College Student

(image via pinterest)
With the end of the semester on the horizon, you might feel like you're drowning in "To Dos" (I am). Everyone has their own definition of being productive, but I simplify it to getting things done. This week, I wanted to share my personal tips on how to be a productive college student (or person :)). This semester, I developed a new mentality on how to spend my time. I have a very challenging major and have other outside responsibilities, but I also want to make the most out of these four years. I don't want to sacrifice a test grade for an ice cream date, but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on great memories just to study vocabulary words. So, I strive to create a good balance between school and friends.

1. Prioritize.

I think this is the tip that almost everyone gives. Simply make a list of things you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO COMPLETE. Sometimes I make a list of everything I need to get done in the next three days, and it's way too overwhelming. Just take it one day at a time. (WRITE THAT STUFF DOWN IN YOUR PLANNER, FOLKS). 

2. Take advantage of breaks

My classes for the most part are back to back. But, whenever I do have a lull period, or a class gets cancelled, I will try to complete small tasks, like responding to emails or finishing my daily French homework. That way, I get to focus on larger assignments during my designated study time. 

3. Don't overwork yourself.

Make sure that you don't work so hard you're becoming unproductive. There are some days that I have so much work to do it seems unmanageable. But, if I'm writing a paper at 1 a.m. in an exhausted state, the chances are that the quality of the paper isn't very great. Usually I recognize when it's time to call it quits for the day and work it into tomorrow's schedule. 

4. Plan fun rewards for yourself.

Like I wrote earlier, I try to balance my social and school lives. I am the type of person that gets everything done first and then rewards myself so I don't get behind. But, sometimes I'll even write in my planner "Get ice cream with so-and-so" so that I have that reward to look forward to, but am also aware of things I need to accomplish beforehand. 

5. Save Netflix for last. 

Unless I'm having a terrible day or just finished a terrible test, I save Netflix for last. Don't get me wrong, I love an occasional One Tree Hill binge, but most of the time I feel guilty for watching instead of studying. Sometimes, I use it as a reward for completing my entire to-do list! 

6. Change your surroundings.

Everybody has their preferred studying environment. For me, it's the library--I accomplish tonsss more in a focused, academic environment than my social dorm. A lot of times I will just study in my dorm, but on days when I know I need to get things done, I'll bring some snacks and camp out in the library. 

7. Don't be afraid to say no.

This is definitely the hardest for me, especially since I have that whole "make memories & study" philosophy. But, at the end of the day, you are at college to earn a degree. Most likely, your friends will understand when you can't hang out. Everyone has those weeks. FOMO is real, but chances are there will be another social opportunity soon. 

I hope these tips help in the coming stressful weeks!

XO

Post a Comment