SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Be Still.


Hey friends! Hope y'all have had a good week. Also, S/O to my incredible friends who've told me over the past week you read my blog. Y'all are THE BEST. The photos above are from the beautiful sunrise this morning--a few of my friends and I drove up to a look-out point near Fayetteville and it was amazing. (Also side note about photo quality--I'm going to get a new phone this afternoon so iPhone camera quality will be better, and I'm working on the camera situation. It might not seem like a big deal to y'all but it really bothers me lol).

Today, I just wanted to share something that's been on my heart the past few days.
The first part of Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God." This verse has always been one that I've displayed in my room, but it's held different meanings for me throughout different stages of life. When I came back to school almost two weeks ago to start the semester, I had a plan for how this semester would go. Last semester started off very rocky, so I knew I needed to make some changes. But within 24 hours of being back, my schedule started to get crazy and I got some disappointing news.

My anxiety heightened to a point that it hadn't reached since my Junior year of high school. I was having a hard time sleeping and focusing in class (during syllabus week #yikes). My plan to start off on a good note was not working. At all. And in the midst of all this, I was trying to get back into a strict routine of quiet time and prayer.

After a few days, I realized things were getting out of control. But that morning, I was reading in my devotion (Rhythms & Grace by Amen Paper Company =awesome), and the verse of the day was Psalm 46:10. They pointed out the two main verbs of this first-be still and know. The first-be still. Put away distraction, turn off your phone, close your eyes, and talk to God. The second-know. Know that the Lord is good, His plan for you is even better, and He is on your side.

I was talking with my campus minister earlier this week about struggling to make my time with God a priority. And what he said was so convicting--we will make time for anything else but our spiritual lives. Talk about WOW. Reading a passage of Scripture and meditating on it takes less than 10 minutes, so why do I struggle so much to do this??

One recommendation he had was immediately when you get in bed at night, read a Psalm. Read it, meditate on it for 2-3 minutes, and then read or watch TV or do whatever you do before you go to bed.

All this to say, take some time and be still. It's often in the silence that God speaks the loudest!

Feel free to leave a comment with thoughts/posts you want to see!

XO

Post a Comment