SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, July 6, 2017

The 5 Phases of Moving to College

(I actually wrote this post the week before I moved to college almost a year ago! I've inserted a different color font with my present thoughts.)


With only 5 (WHAT?!) days until I move to college and have to start #adulting, I've had a ton of thoughts about this crazy transition phase that is the summer before college. I used #adulting and #college wayyyy too much haha.  I would love to hear feedback/thoughts/advice about moving to college. Also, I plan on writing a "letter to my freshman year self" type post

1. The "I'm not a high-schooler anymore" phase.

This phase was rather short, but really the whole week before graduation (my class went on our senior trip), I kept thinking "I'm actually going to be a college student. That trip still holds some of my favorite memories. Also, I really hope I didn't appear as one of those "baby" freshmen...WHAAAAAT?! I think I'm actually still in this phase. Just the thought that I'll never have to wear a school uniform or use a locker kind of blows my mind.

2. The overwhelmed phase.

Between 87727347 graduation luncheons, writing more thank you notes than I've written in my life, getting everything ready for recruitment, and starting a new job, the beginning of the summer was definitely stressful. Still makes me stressed out just thinking about it. All of the prep was definitely worth it, but this year I'm taking a more *chill* approach. Don't get me wrong, this time was so fun and celebratory, but it did come with a whole bunch of to-do lists.

3. The nervous phase.

Y'all, I'm not kidding when I say the entire month of July was a total freak out. In the past I've really struggled with anxiety, and senior year it went away, but then it came back. I think a lot of it was that I was away from home for two weeks and just had a whole bunch of things to do, but I was definitely worried. That anxiety didn't go away for the first 2 months!! But it's totally normal. Second semester I felt very "seasoned" and accustomed to it all. Anything from the color of my headboard to making bedskirts to making sure my grocery list was made (because that's totally normal) was in my head. S/O to great roommates/friends who put things in perspective.

4. The excited phase.

This phase has been going on for the past week or so. I am just really excited for everything college is going to bring. And I'm even more excited for this next year! I've been spending a lot of time with my parents lately; in a recent conversation with my dad, he wasn't sad as much as he was excited because he saw college as the beginning of a ton of new memories and opportunities. And even though it'll be small, I am super pumped to decorate a new space!! 

5. The sad phase.

This phase didn't really come until I hit the "one week til move-in" countdown. That one sentence was all I originally wrote one year ago. Two days before I moved to college, we had a big family dinner with all of my grandparents and my aunt. It was a time of reminiscing and also a time of prayer for the next adventure I was about to embark on. All I remember about that time was that I was sobbing. Uncontrollably. And I don't like people to see me cry. But, the reality that I was moving away from home for an extended amount of time hit me hard. All that to say, it really is ok to be sad for a time. 

I hope y'all enjoyed this more personal post! I took the week off last week for a vacation with family, and the past few days I've been working hard on brainstorming content and planning a redesign. Thank you, thank you, thank you faithful readers! Every text I get saying "I read your blog today!" makes it all worth it. 

XO

Post a Comment